Many wool garments can be machine washed; however, it is always vital to read the care instructions on your particular garment first. If the care instructions say machine wash is allowed, it can safely be machine washed multiple times, without shrinkage.
- It would be best to wash wool garments on the wool setting (usually gentle action at 40°C). If your washing machine does not have a wool cycle, use the delicate cycle
- Use a mild detergent (check on the label for wool wash approval).
- After washing, your garment should be flat dried in the shade after washing
Some woollen garments care labels suggest hand washing only:
- Use a mild, gentle or wool wash detergent in lukewarm water
- Turn your wool garment inside out
- Soak your woollen garment for around 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly in lukewarm water, followed by a final rinse in cold water
Other tips on caring for your woollen products
- Do not Bleach as the chemicals can destroy merino fibres
- Avoid Ironing as wool has the natural ability to stretch into shape and decrease, however, if you must iron your clothing, then turn your garment inside and use a cool setting
- Avoid Fabric Softeners as these have been known to reduce the performance of merino fibres natural ability to breathe and regulate temperature.
Understanding pilling on your wool garments
Pilling is the creation of small fuzzy balls on the surface of your wool clothing. It can result in giving your garments a worn-out look and is often caused by rubbing around elbows, arms, or the sweater’s sides where the arms are continually coming into contact with the body. Other surfaces will fall victim to pilling over extended periods often when the fibres used in manufacturing are short. Long fibres are easier to twist in the manufacturing process and may help result in less pilling.
Pilling can be easily combed away or removed using a special comb, battery-operated de-piller or fabric shaver. Caring for your garment by washing your Merino wool inside-out can also help minimise pilling.
Source the finest Australian wool at Creswick Woollen Mills
From Creswick, approximately 120km outside Melbourne, our wool is made from only the finest materials, offering superior quality and innovation. In 2022, Creswick Woollen Mills are passionate about delivering unbeatable quality so view our full range of products today and find a wool piece you’ll love that will last for many years to come.